The Games of Genius
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maze Mania

3 posters

Go down

Maze Mania Empty Maze Mania

Post by gib65 Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:03 am

Finally, I can post links!

Hello Trixie,

I joined the forum!

I told you about a game I created. Did you want to see it?

http://www.shahspace.com/jws/mazemania/mazemania.html

It's called MazeMania. I know, it's not a very creative name, but it's just what rolled off the tongue and it stuck.

Firefox seems to be the only browser that can run it 'cause all the other browsers suck ass now (they didn't used to), so you should really open the link above with Firefox. You may find that the game runs super fast. Not much I can do about that. Back in the day when I was programming that, it didn't run that fast. We must have faster computers today. I probably didn't clock it according to fixed intervals. If I ever get around to programming it again, I'll fix that.

If you have trouble running it, I can send you the source code. You'll need Java to run it.

If you can run it, you're a little guy in a maze and the objective is to make all the balls disappear. You collect balls by running over them and they get added to the chain of balls you've already collected. This chain, you drag behind you. You can break the chain by by traversing the balls in the opposite direction and moving perpendicular to the chain. You make the balls disappear by getting three in a row of the same color.

If you get to level two, steer clear of the bad guys.

If you get to level three, you have to unlock the doors to get at the balls.

If you get to level four, you have to put out the fires with the water... which I didn't program yet... because I got bored at that point and quit.

Happy playing!

gib65

Back to top Go down

Maze Mania Empty Re: Maze Mania

Post by mannequin Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:52 am

Java really?...A screenshot would be nice, please. *sigh*
mannequin
mannequin

Back to top Go down

Maze Mania Empty A solid engine.

Post by Admin Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:04 am

A solid engine for your first Java project, but the game is inherently lacking in greatness, and so has been moved to the appropriate subforum.

The aesthetics are fairly good, the white background with the blue lines, the atomic resemblances of the gems and the TIE fighter like appearance of the player sprite was fairly good and gave a sciency vibe. However, at a small scale, aesthetics coherence is a fairly trivial task, and becomes exponentially more difficult as the complexity of the game increases.

The gameplay in of itself was fairly basic, and the procedural level generation was solid for a first time Java expos'e, however, the game's complexity did not warrant the need of such thing, and so was inherently frillish. The low amount of ammo, kept the game interesting but at the same time too difficult. Playing the game did not feel like a chore, but at the same time, wasn't terribly entertaining either. 2/5.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thegamesofgenius.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gib65 Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:06 pm

Geez, I didn't know my game was gonna be judged.

But I have to admit, it could use some improvement. Keep in my it was a labor of love, not a professional responsibility.

If I were making this game professionally, I would certainly have to supe it up a bit.

PS - Did this sub-forum exist before I posted my link?

gib65

Back to top Go down

Post by mannequin Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:41 am

Yes, i'm pretty sure the sub-forum existed before you posted the link, it wasn't created specifically for your game, because that would be just mean.

Why did you use Java? Was that something you just picked up back in the day and just went with it?
mannequin
mannequin

Back to top Go down

Post by gib65 Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:03 pm

mannequin wrote:Yes, i'm pretty sure the sub-forum existed before you posted the link, it wasn't created specifically for your game, because that would be just mean.

It's not unthinkable that Trixie could be mean.

mannequin wrote:Why did you use Java? Was that something you just picked up back in the day and just went with it?

Pretty much. It was one of the first languages I learnt back in the early days of my computer science education. As soon as I learned graphics, I went ahead with the game. The original idea wasn't actually the game. I just had an idea for how to generate mazes randomly. Then I decided to put a little guy into it. Then it became a game.

gib65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum